mental health stigmatization is maybe one of the few things that can get me fired up quicker than a turbo engine can go from zero to sixty.
I found myself sitting amongst my coworkers yesterday at lunch as someone halfheartedly made a comment about another person being 'so bipolar.' this one comment spurred an entire discussion about people dealing with Bipolar disorder and how 'those Bipolars are so dangerous' and 'they can be so violent' and 'i'm not sure what is worse; bipolar or living with someone who has OCD.'
I was appalled, and mortified, and primarily just shocked at how easily these people degraded those who struggle with mental illnesses, and also how ignorant they were. I found myself wanting to interject all my firsthand knowledge yet not wanting to out myself, as no one at work really knows my background. Thankfully, someone finally spoke up and clarified that Bipolar disorder does not typically involve violence, unless someone had anger issues to begin with. They do not just walk the streets looking to jump people. Such a sick misrepresentation.
Think about this. Mental illnesses are biological illnesses that affect an organ of the body: the brain. The physical manifestations of the illness just happen to be behavioral, which isn't socially acceptable, God forbid someone not fall into society's neat little boxes. However, someone else could have an illness that affects their bladder and bowels (also organs of the body like the brain) and end up unable to control their bowel movements in public, also not socially acceptable, yet everyone would feel sorry for them and do whatever they could to accommodate them and society would expand their neat little boxes to help include that person. Double standards? I think so.
I just wonder when there is going to be more equality for mental illnesses. I wonder when there will be less stigma and more understanding. I wonder when I will be able to sit around a table with my coworkers and have an open discussion about my issues. Maybe in 20 years. Maybe in 10, if we are really lucky.
I completely agree, there is such a horrible stigma when it comes to mental illness. Thankfully, there are organizations now working to promote awareness, but we still have a long way to go. It's difficult because those with mental illness often feel shamed into not talking about them, but it's the only way things are truly going to change. People just tend to assume that they don't know people with mental illness, but it affects so many individuals. I think you have the right to speak up and say, "Hey, look. That's not right. You can always tell when people are struggling with mental illness." It might give people another perspective.
ReplyDelete