Wednesday, March 30, 2011

making up for lost time...

wow, i have had a total lack of motivation to do much of anything, much less to blog.
yet, i know that i should, as it tends to be a good outlet for me.

quick life update - i quit my job a week and a half ago in hopes of finding a different one that was better suited for me, but have had absolutely no luck getting any bites. i've filled out countless applications and still, nothing. sometimes i think i am overqualified for the part time jobs i am wanting. i know, someone my age should have a full time job or career, but i am trying to take it easy until i start back to school in an intense program. plus, i do need to pace myself and not get too overwhlemed because i am still in a relatively fragile state of mind.
i finally got back on an antidepressant and that has made a world of difference. and i actually like my psychiatrist, too. still haven't told him about the ed but hey, that can come later.
i spent this past saturday night in the emergency room...thought i had appendicitis, but they ruled that out. then they thought i had a cyst on my ovary that had burst but they ruled that out, as well. turns out, besides probably having endometriosis, i have what is considered to be a colon on the verge of being a cathartic colon. the years of consistent laxative abuse has actually damaged the physical nature of the colon and interfered with the nerve conductions that cause the colon to contract and push things through. i have to follow up with a GI doctor in the 18th of april. It is kind of scary to think about the fact that i have done some very real long term damage to my body that may not be so easily reversed just by resuming a normal eating regimine. I always thought that i was invincible and nothing bad would ever happen, but it has and it is continuing to do so.
which leads me into the recovery nitty-gritty.
i'm struggling some. i'm not going to go into the details of how or what, but i'm just putting it out there that i am. and here is what i am doing to combat those slips...

-actively involved in an outpatient group
-being totally honest with my dietitian
-reaching out to friends that i know i can trust
-working to not isolate myself
-journaling and doing some workbooks
-spending time in the Word
-currently reading an inspirational book
-making sure i get out and get active to help with the depression

i think it is important, for me, to acknowledge when i am struggling so i know that i have that added accountability, but i also want to note the ways in which i am continually fighting so as not to fall into that defeatist trap i so easily can find myself in.
i also think it is important to acknowledge what positives i am experiencing...

-my dad has a new job so we get to spend more time together
-i got accepted to our local college to take some courses this summer, now all i need is to get the classes
-they opened up a froyo joint on my side of town ;)
-i have friends and family that love and care about me
-i finally have an antidepressant that works for me
-i get to take a trip to boston and maine with my mom in a month!
-i have two presh pupsters that mean the world to me
-i found some delicious new yogurt today
-i have the physical ability to grow, thrive, function, and better my life

so, all in all, i'm well. i have my days, my weeks, my ups and downs, but i am sticking with it and hanging on for dear life.
that, my friends, is progress!
<3

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it absolutely IS progress :) And I think that it's great that you can admit that you are struggling, and not only that, but be able to come up with a sort of "plan of attack" to combat a relapse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LB.
    Sorry I took so long to respond. Anyway, I agree it is absolutely progress that you can not only admit that you are struggling but then take steps and be proactive about getting back on the right track. How has it been going since your last blog? I hope that you have been able to get back on the right track and have been able to stop slipping. I am also so glad you have an antidepressant that works for you! What are you on now? That can really help not fix things but definitely take the edge off...that is the way I look at it at least. Remember your future goals and plans or nursing. It will all work out in the end. So many times during my journey this past year taking my pre-reqs and applying to schools I had meltdowns and freak outs of feeling totally overwhelmed like nothing would work out but it did! However I do not think it would have worked out had I not continued to make progress in recovery and besides my mini relapse in the fall (quickest and fastest relapse yet) have been on a path in only one direction- towards true and full recovery...and I see you on that path too. Just remember to stay on it and get back on it as soon as you fall off- and most importantly work on changing the thoughts and believe system not only the behaviors. Every time I read your blog I crave fro-yo. Actually I have been craving it for some time now but the weather here is so narly that it has not been fro-yo appropriate. REgardless I think this weekend I may have to get some. I wish I had a fro-yo machine in my house! Now that would rock!
    Love
    Jessica
    PS...how is the stomach holding up? I'm going to ask my PMD on Monday for a gasto referral. I cannot take my stomach problems much more- I want to hopefully fix or figure out what is wrong before it gets worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm missing your updates!!!! I always love reading your writing....
    Love you skin twin!!

    ReplyDelete