Monday, July 11, 2011

the end is not the end...

some things have happened recently that really have me thinking a lot about people, friendships, and life. i had some people in my life that i thought were true friends and have recently shown their true colors, leaving me wondering where things went so wrong. but maybe things really didn't go wrong. maybe the loss of these relationships just signifies the end of that chapter of my life and the start of a new one. i think it was actually a blessing in disguise that people i cared about have walked out of my life. i don't know that i would have had made the first move to begin letting go of some relationships that were formed during the eating disorder. i always worry that if i begin to let go of peole that i'll end up alone, but i know now that i have enough people in my life who are solid, steady, and true friends that i don't need to hold onto every relationship that was formed through treatment and such. it is liberating, indeed, to let go of parts and pieces of the eating disorder, and certain relationships are part of that which i can let go of. i also think it shows strength to be able to deal with the initial hurt and then make the conscious decision to move on. i'm not going to lie, it is hard to acknowledge that some people are in my life for a season and others for a reason, but it is worth it if the end result is feeling more free. actually, it is hard to let go in general. a friend of mine said it perfectly...it is, in essence, a mourning process. not only do i go through this with people, but just letting go of the eating disorder in general has been a mourning process. of course, it has also been a joyous and incredible process, as well.
i am ready to move forward into a new chapter of life. i am ready to embark on new journies, meet new people, and gain new life experience. i am excited to start this new chapter happy and healthy, strong, independent, focused, and content. i am ready to truly live life, to the best of my ability, and enjoy every second of it.
lesson learned through all of this - appreciate the amazing and supportive friends i do have in my life. i have been blessed with some pretty incredible friends who are always there for me, no matter what. i love that we can talk through things, work through differences, and continue to remain close. i love that we can talk about just about anything, laugh until we cry, be honest with each other, and just enjoy each other's company. my favorite part about having such awesome friends? the fact that no matter the distance or time, we can pick right back up where we left off, like no time or distance was ever an issue.
no end is ever really an end...it is simply an opportunity for a new beginning.

<3

5 comments:

  1. I love you so much. This is incredible and I am so so so proud of you. I love that we can pick right back up where we left too...I guess that's a special thing about twins. As my best friend once told me...“I wept because from now on I will weep less. I wept because I have lost my pain and I am not yet accustomed to its absence…” Anaïs Nin.

    I love you so much girl! I'm on call during the nights every night this wk so my schedule is crazy!!! So I apologize in advance for slow response to texts! Or weird responses!! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, please text me some jibberish so i can know that you are alive and sleep deprived and all is well ;) i love you, twin. you are the best sister anyone could ask for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, one of my mentors described friends in three different categories: weeds, flowers, and oak trees. The weeds are the ones we make out of desperation, ones that are meant to die off. Flowers are ones that last for a season in your life, but eventually fade without constant care. Oaks are the friends that stick around through thick and thin, who don't need constant attention to stay strong.

    :) Just thought I'd share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, lily...i really like this analogy. it rings very true to my life. i'm definitely blessed with some oaks in my life ;)
    thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. You are so honest and express your thoughts very well. I really like reading blogs whose authors are able to really go out and tell their story. So proud of you. I think this post is rather ironic because in my life I am facing the exact same thing, with relationships formed during my eating disorder. It's a tough choice to make whether or not to keep or let them go, I think it depends mostly on how they affect you presently.

    You are wonderful

    ReplyDelete