"chronic."
i've believed i was chronic for a long time but i first had someone tell me face-to-face when i was at remuda. my psychiatric nurse practitioner was two steps away from transferring me to a state facility because she had run out of options and ideas and was frustrated with me. she proceeded to tell me that i was a chronic case and even handed me a paper with my treatment outlook statistics and it said my chances at recovery were fair to poor. she stamped me a failure before even giving me a chance, and i ran with that. i'm not saying she was a bad practitioner by any means, but i do think she hit a brick wall with me and let me know that which may not have been the best idea for someone who already believed, deep down, that something was inherently wrong and flawed and perpetually broken. it almost became a self-fulfilling prophecy that i was unable to free myself from.
i found myself in therapy today still struggling with this belief of being chronic. when asked what my definition of chronic is, i found myself saying that chronic means "an inability to recover, an inability to let go, an inability to be free, an inability to live a relatively normal life, and being prone to relapse." she asked what it was that made me so supposedly prone to relapse and after some silent thought i came to the conclusion that recovery gets to a point where it becomes uncomfortable and unbearable. i'm not exactly sure what about it feels so uncomfortable besides the obvious physical aspects. my guess is that it starts to feel so free and so normalized that it feels almost unsafe to a degree. it feels uncontrolled and spontaneous and that all just feels so unfamiliar to me. and here i find myself back at square one...i have issues with needing to feel a sense of safety and that is one thing i feel when i am controlling my external environment. cliche? maybe. but true for me, i suppose.
anyway, we talked about my fear of making necessary changes that i know i need to be making because of what it means and what it's going to change. i've done it before, so i'm not really sure why it feels hard to do again yet it does. i guess that is the nature of it all. making the changes i need to make means facing a lot of fears, dealing with and confronting emotions, memories, thoughts, and feelings that i don't always want to acknowledge.
i'm awfully tired. fighting a daily battle for something that comes so naturally to other people (happiness/contentment, normalcy around food, body acceptance, reduced anxiety, healthy relationship with exercise etc) is exhausting and sometimes i wish i could just snap my fingers and make it all magically fall into place forever. but that is clearly not going to happen, so i guess i will just push on and keep going despite my current level of emotional and physical fatigue. i have faith that one day soon i will be at peace with myself and everything that entails.
"sometimes i wish i could just snap my fingers and make it all magically fall into place forever"
ReplyDeleteCan COMPLETELY relate to this feeling. I have had treatment professionals ask, "Why is THIS time going to be different, and HOW are you going to make it different?" I often feel at a loss for words, bc I DON'T know how it will be different, it just HAS to be if I want to live a full life.
What is keeping me going now are my hopes and goals for the future. I KNOW that they are possible, I KNOW that I can overcome this, and I KNOW that I can be successful...now it's just a matter of making it happen, by whatever means necessary. And I have faith in you too :)
<3 <3
Katie
You know, I had a lot of people and practitioners tell me that, too. I even got a few weeks away from getting surgery for having a PEG tube placed because a dietitian said I was chronic and there was just no point in even trying anymore- I just feed myself artificial nutrients into a hole in my stomach! :| Luckily, I went to Mercy Ministries. I never once heard someone there tell me I was hopeless case, and in fact, they said that God gives EVERYONE AND ANYONE a second chance at life! :) I'm not perfect, and I have some really horrible days, but I'm still alive through God's grace (and the staff at Mercy Ministries that helped me gain a relationship with Him). However, I'll never say it was a programme that pulled me out of my misery. I know not everyone thinks Mercy Ministries is for them, and many people think faith in God's healing power is ridiculous, but it's what worked for me. Maybe you should give it a shot? :)
ReplyDelete