"to be or not to be...that is the question."
i think i finally understand this statement, at least in regards to my own life. hamlet poses this question beautifully, as he ponders life and death, which is nobler, which is easier, which is essentially better. he refers to being alive as "being." i've also pondered this question in much the same way. to be or not to be...to live or die? to fight or give up? to throw on my armour or bow out?
but now, i'm asking myself this question from a different perspective.
to be or not to be?
to be okay with who i am or not to be? to be okay with just being okay or not? to be okay with letting go of control or attempt to hold on with white knuckles? to be well or not be well? to be a nurse? or a journalist? or a therapist? or a screenwriter?
i'm asking myself this question in a very existential manner these days, and i feel like it's much harder to ask myself questions like this than it is to simply ask myself if i want to live or die. marya hornbacher phrased it beautifully in her book, "Wasted" when she said "If you want to live badly enough, you can live. The great question, at least for me, was: How do I decide I want to live?” Choosing between two very black and white options has never been as difficult for me as having to choose between the vast and endless options that fall into the dreaded gray area. even when i thought i had figured out what i wanted to do, say nursing, there were still decisions to be made...what kind of nurse? what school? when to start? do i want to move after i just moved? how to pay for it? is this really what i feel called to do?
i don't have to ask myself as many of those questions anymore because nursing school fell through yesterday and it doesn't look like that is going to be an option for the upcoming year, at least. prerequsite requirements changed, letters of recommendation i thought got sent in didn't actually get sent in, courses i took that should have been accepted weren't going to be honored and i found out all last minute, too late to do anything before the application deadlines.
so i am back to the basic question.
to be or not to be?
where do i go from here?
who do i want to be?
where does my passion lie? what do i feel like i am called to do?
so many questions that remain unanswered and i feel so unsettled. i have ideas and leads but no concrete plans. i like concrete. it is solid, unmoving, unchanging, steady. i feel like i'm standing on quicksand, and the faster i run towards something i think might just work the more stuck i become. i need something steady in my life.
so the question now is not do i live or die? i've made that decision. though i feel an overwhelming sense of hopelessness at the moment with nothing to look forward to, bowing out before the fight is even over just isn't an option. so now the choice is mine...how do i decide i want to live my life?
^yikes! Hello grammar.
ReplyDeleteI have so much to say, but I'm on my phone, so it may wait until I can get to the computer.
Only you and your team can decide what's best for you, so ignore (the best you can) the trolls.
I know having plans change is not something people w EDs do well with. I encourage you to talk through these changes with your team. And although it seems like it, plans don't have to be set in stone right away.
Take care of yourself. You are an inspiration to many!
haha, definitely had to re-read that one a few times to even figure out what they were trying to say. i deleted that comment so they wouldn't be embarrassed by the grammatical errors. first, i don't claim to be at a "realy realy low weight" so i'm not really sure where they got that nor do i think i have anything needing to be proved. as i stated earlier, this time of year is hard for me with stress and depression and anniversaries so anyone who understands eating disorders and depression should understand how it all makes sense. i suppose that people just don't always get it. nor did i make the choice to simply "start back with my eating disorder." it didn't actually work that way and anyone who knows me or has been talking with me would know that. i understand that i don't have to do anything at all with my life, but the thing is that i WANT to be doing something with my life. that makes me feel fulfilled. and you are absolutely right, change is hard for me! but plans don't have to be set in stone and things do change, sometimes even for the better. thank you for your encouragement!
ReplyDeleteLeah Beth, Hi sweetie :-) I know it's such so over used in treatment, but I will say the good ol' phrase - sometimes things fall apart so better things can fall together. I am a FIRM FIRM FIRM believe in that! I'm like you with the gray area. I do so much better in black/white decision making (sorry Marsha Lineahan). Unfortunately the world has so many shades of gray - and thankfully some color :-)
ReplyDeleteSomeone once told me to try and weed out what you don't want. Okay so you do not know whether you want to try to situate nursing school, but you do know you do not want to _____.
Right now I am trying to decide about graduate school. I have no clue if I want to continue down the path or architecture or interior design or instead head towards civil engineering, law school, or even give it a shot at med school again. Big decisions right? But I do know I don't want to leave Pittsburgh quite yet. I do know I do not want to go beyond ----- in debt... sometimes the definite DO NOT's help shape the DO's.
Just my 2 cents. Keep your chin up beautiful. Praying for you <3
^this is why I should not try and type long messages on my cell. OOPS! sorry for the poor spelling <3
ReplyDeleteI am SO sorry about the nursing school. I understand how much frustrating that is. Is it going to be an option for you to apply again next year? I hope you are doing well.. I personally can relate so much to this this question of what do I want to do in life? and what grad. school want to apply too? I wish you the very best... <3
ReplyDelete