Sunday, August 28, 2011

life as i know it...

Hi, my name is Leah Beth and I'm an eco-friendly.
Just kidding.
But seriously, I've had such a blast this weekend and spent most of it on a bicycle! I brought my bike to tulsa with the intention of riding it, and in the two weeks i've been here, i've yet to ride. So naturally, I jumped at the chance to ride with some friends from brookside to downtown and then all around downtown. A couple of my friends and I met on brookside, rode the 4-5 miles to downtown, where we stopped to have a drink and hang out for a while, then made the trek back. It was crazy because I've always biked on sidewalks or trails, never on the road with traffic. I was pretty terrified at first but once I got over the initial fear it felt SO freeing! I mean, coolest feeling in the world! Reminded me of how much fear can hold me back from experiencing really neat things in life. I tend to be more on the fearful side so learning to take a few risks has made me feel that much stronger. Anyway, we got back late last night and needless to say, i was pooped.
I took it easy most of today, minus riding my bike to the drug store. I love that I live in a city where I can just hop on my bike and ride to the grocery, or the drug store, or bookside, or cherry street. Okay, not going to lie, the hills here in tulsa are KILLER. I'm sure with time and practice they will get easier but yea, my thighs are still burning, lol.
Yea, I pretty much just love life right now. Even if things aren't always great, I'm learning to love where I am in life, and learning to love this crazy journey I am on. Being an adult has always been scary for me. In a way, I feel like I grew up way before my time in terms of some of the things I went through and how my world views were shattered pretty early on, yet other times I feel like I'm not really an adult, even though I am 26 years old. I needed this move to show me that I can be an adult, I can be responsible.
I'm starting to feel alive again, which is a great thing. I'm realizing now all of the things I missed out on, and now that I am truly experiencing life, I feel confident that I will never get back to the place I was a year ago. There is just too much I want to do with my life and too many things I enjoy that I am not willing to give up or let go of again. It's a great feeling to actually want life. Who knew I'd ever get here?!
Hope everyone had a great weekend!
<3

3 comments:

  1. Aw, this makes me so happy to read! My favorite part is that there is nothing in here about your ED telling you to burn more calories with your bike or anything like that -- you simply did it for the fun of it, and look how rewarding that was for you! I keep meaning to buy a bike so I can do that in my town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying your new life that you're creating in Tulsa! You are making me want to ride my bike more! I'd love to be one of those people who just ride their bikes all around and are so happy and healthy and... ah. I hope that is what recovery will bring for me. And I agree with Deanna, it's so good to hear that you are enjoying riding your bike and not doing it for eating disordered reasons!

    Have a great day! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous of your hills in Tulsa. We are so flat here that I never get any hill training!

    ReplyDelete