Tuesday, February 8, 2011

let's get personal..

first of all, i apologize for anything that doesn't make sense...my brain is elsewhere today!

anyway, i was reading through an old journal last night spanning my post-renfrew - pre-remuda time. i always write better when i am in the throes of depression because my mind gets even more introspective and i tend to focus on the why's of situations and desparately seek meaning for the tribulations. anyway, i found some very interesting, very poignant statements that, looking back now, make a lot of sense as to why i do what i do and why i have held onto destructive behaviors for so long.
i wanted to share some of what was written on those pages for a few reasons.
first, it shows just how entrenched the mind can become.
second, to show just how far i have come.
and lastly, to tie some things together and make some sense out of everything.

here goes.

"i suddenly feel so transparent, so visible. i don't want to be seen. i want to remain hidden - tucked neatly away from the world as if the world needs to be protected from me"

"i'm not a bad, negative, dysfunctional person - i just feel like i'm dying on the inside and try to dampen those feelings in dysfunctional ways"

"i am right where i want to be. where i feel i deserve to be. existing. not in excess. surviving on the minimum. learning to function on exactly what i need to get by. i do not deserve to have needs."

"everyday, things are becoming more and more daunting. i recognize my patterns. i know this all too well. so why can't i stop it from happening?"

"i want to get away from this life...run away to where no one knows me or my past...somewhere that i can start fresh and recreate myself."

"i am the great pretender. everyday another little piece of me dies off even though my exterior looks completely put together. but i am weakening on the inside."

"who am I without the eating disorder? how am i supposed to be real if i don't even know who i am"

"i want the split between my head and my heart to lessen so i can be whole again"

"life entails too many choices. it's overwhelming. i can't decide, so i won't decide."

"i know that food is tied to relationships. people get too close, it becomes scary. i have to push them away somehow - so i do the only thing i can do. i wedge the eating disorder between myself and the world. protected from them, yet prey to myself."

"i was hurt as a child. i was confused for a long time. and now what am i doing? i'm still confused, and still hurting, though very much self-inflicted. i'm letting the hurt live on because i feel like that is all i deserve."

"am i worth anything because i'm beginning to think that i am not."

the list could go on and on as there are hundreds of pages filled with similar trains of thought but i will stop there. i thought this would be important for me to lay out in black and white because it tells a lot about why my eating disorder started in the first place, and can presently help me deal with trigger situations.
i've always felt very guilty and unworthy. i spent a lot of time telling myself that i didn't have the same needs as everyone else. yes, i loved it when my parents bought me a new outfit or a new pair of shoes (usually because i have always had issues with overdressing the outside to try and make up for the inside) but i didn't feel deserving of love, food, time and energy and fuss, care and nurturing. i'm not even sure where those feelings began. to this day, i still struggle with feeling like i am terminally unique in terms of needs and can get by with so much less than what others may need.

i've always been an axious child who had trouble making decisions, even simple ones. this is still one of my biggest struggles. i have always felt like there is a wrong and a right, and so i fret over making sure i make the "right decision." growing up, when i felt like i had too many choices, i shifted my focus to the food, telling myself that there were too many choices regarding food - where to eat, what to eat, when to eat, how to pay for it, etc. - and if i could just eliminate some of the choices i would then feel more in control. so i limited myself, my food, everything. i also tended to just NOT make a decision, which is more of what i do today. if i am faced with a big decision and can't see a clear choice, then i just fret and debate and never actually make a decision. i notice how it can still mess with my food, so i have to constantly be vigilant about my food when faced with choices and life decisions.

lastly, in regards to the very first statement - i have always felt too visible. i've always been aware of the space that i take up. that's hard to explain because it's not always about me being "fat," rather too much or too present. The sicker i got, the more i began to think that I was exposed and needed to hide. In essence, losing weight for me was an effort to protect myself from the world, and the world from me. At laureate this last time, my therapist and I talked a lot about my personality, and how it scares me. When totally uninhibited, my general personality is bubbly, witty, bordering on loud sometimes, spontaneous, fun, emotional, sensitive, and leader-oriented. Being a visible presence scared me, and I began to notice that when I was losing, my personality was becoming dampened. For me, that was exactly what I wanted. I was scared of being too much, and lack of nutrition allowed my brain and body to quiet down. My therapist helped me realize that I can have balance in my life without destroying my body to get there. What a concept.
I am now working to embrace my personality for what it is, as it makes me who i am.

i guess connecting the dots for me helps when i find myself in similar situations. for example, when i was trying to decide between tulsa and orlando i noticed that i started to get pretty rigid with my food again. i took a step back, connected the dots, and was able to tell myself that controlling my food choices wasn't going to make the decision disappear. I am trying to learn from the past in order to help ensure a healthy future for myself.

anyway, that was a little personal. sorry if it was boring!
Love y'all.
LB <3

2 comments:

  1. Your quote and reflection on the idea of taking up too much space really resonates with me. That is a huge struggle I have as well. Ever since I was a child I remember feeling like I took up too much space. I was an extraordinarly shy and timid child so not quite bubbly to say the least ;) However, I realized that I often felt in the way due to the way in which my mom and I interacted. I was very tall and shy which was a hard combo and wanted to do anything to feel "invisible" or to disappear. Being small meant feeling safer and perhaps that I was taking up less space-being less in the way- finally not being "too much". I often feel too needy etc but I have learned that it is because that was what I was taught growing up- that I was too needy and my needs were too much, I was unworthy of receiving help or care when in reality I simply did not get the things that I needed as a child- that emotional support.It is amazing how much our ED behaviors can mirror how we act and feel in other parts of our lives. For instance, one of my largest struggles in recovering is my concern that no one will care for me because why would they care for me if I am "healthy". My ED gave me a reason to allow the potential for others to care- but why isn't it you, LB enough- you are worthy and loveable enough for someone to care about you- you do not need your ED for people to love you...but perhaps that is not a concern for you...just my rambling thoughts! Blah but enough about me. You are so insightful LB and I am so glad that you are starting to connect the dots. It really does help once we have more insight on why we are driven to act a certain way or why we go back to using more symptoms, having urges etc in harder times. The more we learn and grow the better it will prepare us to face future challenges- to learn from our past mistakes and face challenges without resorting to our maladaptive behaviors. Oh and I too am one of the most indecisive people IN THE WORLD unless I am certain of my decision and then you can't get me to change my mind- I know sounds like an oxymoron but trust me it makes sense ;)
    PS: DO NOT APOLOGIZE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS. Boring or not it is for you (although I never think your posts are boring!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...so I know these are past quotes and a reflection to see how far you have come but just one more comment on this one..

    "who am I without the eating disorder? how am i supposed to be real if i don't even know who i am"

    That was one of the hardest parts for me and I am not sure when I made that leap but more and more I realize that in recovery there is so much truth to the statement that you must give up the ED before you can discover the new you. I know this is not necessarily how you predominately think today but for those of us who cannot even remember life before the eating disorder it can be quite a daunting leap of faith! I hope you are glad you made it though :) <3

    ReplyDelete