"We think we are doing fine but we are not doing fine."
Our pastor at church this morning said this in his sermon and it really struck me. He was talking about how sin can keep us from seeing ourselves as we really are.
So do eating disorders, depression, self-centeredness, ______ (insert your affliction here.)
All of these can fool us into thinking we are fine when we actually aren't fine. It reminded me that the best way to stay in recovery is to be honest, to ask for help when needed, and to stop using the word "fine!" Though I am currently doing okay, I still feel like I've set these unreachable standards for myself that I must be "fine" or "good" or "well" each and every day, and must present myself a certain way to the world. Though I feel like this protects not only me but others as well, it is also a way of disguising myself and my true feelings. I often wonder how to go about doing the simplest things, like admitting when I'm having a bad day or am in a bad mood.
It is hard for me to say those things because I feel like they disappoint and let others down, when that is far from the reality. And only by admitting my weaknesses can I really begin to see my true self.
I'm sure I took his statement out of context but I applied it in a way that fits my life at the moment.
I need help letting my guard down and stepping out from behind the facade and being true to myself and my emotions. No one expects me to be perfect, so why should I?
I guess I'm just a pro at setting goals and expectations for myself that I am never going to reach.
My challenge is to work on being honest and not just blurting out the automatic answer to the question "how are you?" It is a challenge, indeed, but I will take it head on.
Great post! Someone told me the acronym for fine was:
ReplyDeleteFeelings
Inward
Not
Expressed
I thought it was so true!