last night i rented and watched Country Strong. i last saw the movie in theaters and of course, bawled my eyes out, so it was no surprise when i bawled my eyes out last night watching it on DVD. for some reason, this movie particularly affects me. it is so representative of my own story in a different yet very similar way. it is a story of defeat and losing everything and the process of getting back up even after briefly falling back. okay, minus the ending of the movie (which i won't spoil for anyone who hasn't seen it) it pretty much describes my journey back to health. it has been an incredibly trying process of falling so far down that the only direction i could move was upward...and gaining strength with each setback. this is the story of so many strong and brave women i know. they never let struggles or trials get them down. or at least they don't stay down long. it makes me wonder about resiliency. what is it that makes someone resilient? why are some more resilient than others? do we have to encounter a trial or experience defeat in order to develop resiliency or are we born with it? so many questions that i don't have answers to, but i have found resiliency to be an almost universal trait among those of us who have endured eating disorders. i think the tough times make us stronger human beings. and that is why i am so grateful for everything that i have been through because it has made me who i am today.
anyway, several of the songs from the movie struck me, so i thought i'd take a sec and share some of my favorite lyrics...
I have weathered
Colder winters; Longer summers
Without a drop of rain
Push me in a corner
And I'll come out fighting
I may lose but I 'll always keep my faith
Cause I'm country strong
Hard to break
Like the ground I grew up on
You may fool me
And I'll fall
But I won't stay down long
Cause I'm country strong
i love this because it is a prime example of resiliency. and no, i don't think resiliency is strictly for country folk...northerners are included too ;)
They say you get stronger in the broken places
when you lean into the crisis that your facing
In your weakness your made strong
They say when you've fallen off a horse
The first thing you gotta do of course is
Climb right back on
I'm a, I'm a fighter
I must admit I didn't see it coming now face to face
And baby I ain't running
I won't do that anymore
Cause I'm a fighter
This loves worth fighting for
I could back down and fall to pieces
Just to fire with a million reasons
You know that's what I used to do
Ohh but I believe we can go the distance
Not take the path of least resistance
I'll be right here for you
i particularly love the part about going the distance, not the path of least resistance. so many times in recovery, we want to take the easy way out or continue to avoid certain things because it is easier or simpler or less messy...but it is the times when we challenge ourselves and do the uncomfortable things that we gain the most...the most experience, the most confidence, the most happiness, and ultimately the most freedom. we fight our way to where we want to get, continually pushing ourselves outside our comfort zones to eventually become comfortable. i thought this song did an awesome job at portraying that.
well, that is about it. just wanted to share some of my thoughts with you and also, if you haven't seen the movie i highly recommend it though please disregard the ending when thinking about what i said, haha. definitely a feel good movie :))
hope y'all have a blessed evening.
much love <3
No comments:
Post a Comment