Sunday, January 16, 2011

life, or something like it

So, i started having serious second thoughts today about moving back to tulsa.
I started to think about the friends I have there, who i still talk to and who i don't, whether or not I would be able to make it financially, where I was planning on living, etc. and began to get overwhelmed.
What if my friends there leave or are too busy to maintain relationships with?
What if I get there and can't afford to stay? What will that do to my pride and ego?
But I had to stop and re-evaluate why I was moving back in the first place. Yes, for school, and also to have a treatment team that gets me and understands what I am going though. I am also moving back to learn how to be independent and have a fresh start, so to speak.
If i plan to move back solely for the friends or social aspect, i'm setting myself up for failure. I have to have motives other than that to make it work.
It's a tough decision.
I have reasons to stay in Orlando now, that I didn't have when I made the initial decision.
Technically, I'd have to branch out and find non ED friends in tulsa, as I would have to do if I stayed in Orlando. There are pro's and con's to both.
But just thinking about not going back brought me to tears today.
I so want to prove to msyelf and to others that I can make it work, and that I can be independent. I don't want to get stuck here in Orlando. But I also want to make the best decision for me.
Ahh, I hate being back in this indecisive spot.
I just wish i felt confident in one decision. I've been praying about the right course of action since I went back to visit in December and nothing. I feel no real direction. I keep wondering if I'm missing something, or not listening well enough, but I still feel doubtful about going to tulsa and sick to my stomach about staying in Orlando. I just need to make up my mind already.

So, last night after getting the ticket I came home and basically laid in bed/slept from 7pm until 9am. The ticket itself wasn't that big of a deal because the cop cut me a break, but it just triggered something. i had a breakdown. getting the ticket led me to cancelling the pizza and a movie, so i bailed and failed to pick up the pizza i had ordered. By the time I got home, I had determined that I was a failure as a person, and basically a disgraceful human being. Really? Since when does getting a ticket determine my self-worth? It doesn't. But in my world, little things become big things, and negative events lead to negative ideas about who i am. It's always been this way and has been one of my biggest challenges trying to overcome this and change it.
Last night was no exception. As I was leaving the parking lot where I got pulled over, ticket in hand and tears clouding my vision, I told myself that life was not worth living. Don't worry, I realize how extreme that sounds. And I wasn't going to do anything crazy. It was just a thought. But it did get me thinking - I can't remember the last time I truly wanted to be alive. I've spent the majority of my life wondering why i was even alive. I don't know what it's like to wake up in the mornings and be excited for life...not specific events that day, but truly excited just to be alive. I wonder how it can come so easily for some people but is such a fight for others.

But wishing and wondering hasn't really gotten me very far, and I believe that even though the desire to live and love life doesn't come naturally, that it can be learned. So that is what I am trying to do - figure out a way to be passionate about my life, find meaning in my days, and realize that I was put here for a reason...I have a purpose. There is some reason that, after trying everything I could to die, I am still alive. I am trying to find things to be thankful for, and to value the beauty of life. My best friend does an amazing job at reminding me that I have purpose and was placed on this earth to do great things. Sounds so obvious, but I tend to forget this one. I get lost in the negativity and the chaos and forget that I was designed with meaning. Because of this, I am obligated to at least try to be more, do more, and actually live life. I don't say do more and be more in a perfectionistic way, rather in the sense that I have the capacity to be a leader, an instrument of change, and sitting around wallowing in self-pity just won't cut it.

In a nutshell - yes, I haven't had the easiest of days the past week or so, and have struggled, i am not and never will be my struggles. I was created for more. Life is not always easy, in fact I think it is generally hard and the easy days are blessings. Regardless, I can choose to live.

Thats all.
<3 LB

5 comments:

  1. So here is my police story just because I want to share it with you. I had a similar reaction emotionally to the situation as well. I had my first and only (knock on wood) ticket this summer as I was driving to visit my pastor from church who had recently moved to a new congregation about 25 miles south of DC in VA. I am an anxious driver when I do not know my way and was on a residential street and accidently ran a stop sign. Yes that sounds so careless but I was literally going 10 miles an hour since I was also lost and looking for a street sign. Regardless, he pulled me over and I was completely clueless as to why because I had no idea I ran a stop sign. It was a road that had many intersections but only half of htem had the stop signs.....Anyway even though I thought I was nice he still gave me a ticket and since it was in VA they are a pain in the butt. So that is my boring police story. I tell it better in person. Perhaps I will leave you a video. Regardless, a ticket does not make you a bad person in any way but I too felt like I was being scolded or something like a bad child and was absolutely humiliated and was so angry at everyone that had to stare that drove by. I think it is that strong feeling of shame I feel- that somehow I am a bad person for getting a ticket- I know that you realize that it is an irrational thought as do I but the emotions are still so strong in the moment. My pastor made me feel better once she told me her ticket stories that she got even when she had her collar on- which made me feel better because hey if my pastor can get tickets well then I guess so can I ;)

    In terms of your decision to move back to Tulsa I am here if you want to talk about it more. I think questioning the move is a good one because any big decision like this one deserves much time to think about it. I know you feel eager to get out of Fl but when I read about this I ask myself why you are in a rush to leave in February? I do not mean this in a harsh way at all and maybe I am completely misunderstanding but can you continue to plan and provide yourself more time to think about all the things that come along with the move without throwing the idea down the toilet? Perhaps you can explore other options too- maybe less drastic ones that might help you gain independence without moving out of FL but I can also see why you want to move back to where your treatment team is as that is also essential to your health. What does your team in Tulsa think about your plan to move back?

    It is a tough decision Leah so you do not need to beat yourself up about not having a definite plan yet. You are still just getting back on your feet. (So that was my therapist advice) Now to relate it to my own feelings- I can completely relate as I feel that way about nursing programs and schools. Yes, these are not necessarily as life changing decisions but I frustrate myself so much because I do not have a "favorite program" or know exactly what I want to do and I have NO IDEA if I will be starting a program in the summer or fall or where I will even be living. I freak out about this often as I am now while It ry to write a stupid essay about something I am not even SURE if I want to do, but then sometimes I try to remind myself to be patient even when I feel like I have already been patient ENOUGH! I am rambling and did not reread my long comment because I have to get back to editing, but just wanted to give you some support!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHH I just realized that my comment is not here. Did it not go through? Shoot- I wrote a really long one too :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. So here is my police story just because I want to share it with you. I had a similar reaction emotionally to the situation as well. I had my first and only (knock on wood) ticket this summer as I was driving to visit my pastor from church who had recently moved to a new congregation about 25 miles south of DC in VA. I am an anxious driver when I do not know my way and was on a residential street and accidently ran a stop sign. Yes that sounds so careless but I was literally going 10 miles an hour since I was also lost and looking for a street sign. Regardless, he pulled me over and I was completely clueless as to why because I had no idea I ran a stop sign. It was a road that had many intersections but only half of htem had the stop signs.....Anyway even though I thought I was nice he still gave me a ticket and since it was in VA they are a pain in the butt. So that is my boring police story. I tell it better in person. Perhaps I will leave you a video. Regardless, a ticket does not make you a bad person in any way but I too felt like I was being scolded or something like a bad child and was absolutely humiliated and was so angry at everyone that had to stare that drove by. I think it is that strong feeling of shame I feel- that somehow I am a bad person for getting a ticket- I know that you realize that it is an irrational thought as do I but the emotions are still so strong in the moment. My pastor made me feel better once she told me her ticket stories that she got even when she had her collar on- which made me feel better because hey if my pastor can get tickets well then I guess so can I ;)

In terms of your decision to move back to Tulsa I am here if you want to talk about it more. I think questioning the move is a good one because any big decision like this one deserves much time to think about it. I know you feel eager to get out of Fl but when I read about this I ask myself why you are in a rush to leave in February? I do not mean this in a harsh way at all and maybe I am completely misunderstanding but can you continue to plan and provide yourself more time to think about all the things that come along with the move without throwing the idea down the toilet? Perhaps you can explore other options too- maybe less drastic ones that might help you gain independence without moving out of FL but I can also see why you want to move back to where your treatment team is as that is also essential to your health. What does your team in Tulsa think about your plan to move back? 

It is a tough decision Leah so you do not need to beat yourself up about not having a definite plan yet. You are still just getting back on your feet. (So that was my therapist advice) Now to relate it to my own feelings- I can completely relate as I feel that way about nursing programs and schools. Yes, these are not necessarily as life changing decisions but I frustrate myself so much because I do not have a "favorite program" or know exactly what I want to do and I have NO IDEA if I will be starting a program in the summer or fall or where I will even be living. I freak out about this often as I am now while It ry to write a stupid essay about something I am not even SURE if I want to do, but then sometimes I try to remind myself to be patient even when I feel like I have already been patient ENOUGH! I am rambling and did not reread my long comment because I have to get back to editing, but just wanted to give you some support!
Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I believe that even though the desire to live and love life doesn't come naturally, that it can be learned." ... I LOVE this! I also had the same reaction when I got a ticket. I hate that our minds are so quick to jump to horrible conclusions. I have faith in you, Leah! God will lead you where you need to go no matter what. His plan is not always ours, but I will be here if you move to Tulsa. :)
    Love, Kari

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second what Kari Anne said... LOVE that, and its what I am trying to do too. Let go of the old and step out, face the fear, have faith and learn the new.

    Thank you for the honesty in this post, because again, I can completely relate!

    you can always come to TX and we can learn together ;)

    ReplyDelete