i recently changed my computer background to a post-it that said,
"when you get to the end of your rope tie a knot and hang on."
this notion of tying a knot and hanging on for dear life when the going gets tough implies that we have a choice. we are not doomed to loose our grasp and slide off the rope and into impenetrable despair.
No.
We have a choice.
We can choose to tie the knot. To figure out a way to make it work.
To do everything imaginable in order to keep holding on.
I think sometimes we get stuck focusing on the immediate problem, for instance, sliding down a rope, when we could be focusing on coming up with a solution that could potentially save our lives.
I think that i've only been seeing the rope getting shorter and shorter instead of trying to use what is left, tie it up, and figure out a way to hold on. I know that I am speaking in metaphor right now, but sometimes metaphors make things stick for me.
I am really fighting to continue to see the positives, to look at what I am doing and what I could be doing differently, and make changes to better my life. It is a continual struggle, but nonetheless, I am doing it.
I've wasted a lot of time wishing that life were easier, waiting for the day when things would go exactly as planned and I could kick back and relax, but i'm realizing that life just isn't like that. It's the fight that makes us appreciate it that much more. If it were easy, we'd be more likely to take advantage of it, and not really live it up. There is beauty in the fight, as it teaches us that we are stronger than we ever thought possible.
And that is beautiful.


really good and I can totalllllly relate! I've wasted a lot of time too girl and am seeing that the longer I wait to face the fear and climb the rope the harder it is to do. Lets CHOOSE to climb!
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I find metaphors to be really helpful for me too. I don't know why but I guess metaphors really seem to stick with me and when I can make the connection between something outside of my life or something not directly part of my life in relation to a metaphor I think it helps me find truth in that meaning. Anyway, that is a great point. I never really did think about tying a rope as an option instead of sliding....it is so true...we do have a choice especially after we have been down a path to tie a rope and hold on. But I hope that you also have hope and faith that you will not always feel like you are holding on to a rope forever- you may be holding onto a rope now (I can't think of a metaphor to complete this lol) but eventually you will not feel like you need to use all your strength and energy to just hold on. Yes there will always be some time sin life where we may feel that way but they will become much less frequent.
ReplyDeletePS Send me a FB message and let me know how your accupuncture appointment went!